Affiliates beware – here is the ultimate Amazon Affiliate FAQ.
We compiled quick answers to some of the most common inquiries we received over the past few years on questions on the program and becoming an Amazon associate.
New as Amazon Affiliate and wondering how to get started? You came to the right place !
To give you a complete list with relevant details, we went through the nitty gritty details of the operating agreement.
Without further a due, here are the collected insights.
- 1 What is the Amazon Associates Program?
- 2 How big is the Amazon Associates program?
- 3 How much money can I make as Amazon Affiliate?
- 4 How do I sign up for Amazon Associates?
- 5 Why should I sign up to be an Amazon Associate?
- 6 For what referrals does Amazon Associates receive a commission?
- 7 How much commission do I earn as Amazon Associates for qualifying purchases?
- 8 What is an Amazon affiliate qualifying purchase or sale that is eligible for a commission?
- 9 What is the minimum payment I can receive?
- 10 Can I use Amazon content for my website?
- 11 Can Amazon Associates use the Amazon logo on my blog?
- 12 What content is not allowed for Amazon Associates?
- 13 If I am an Amazon affiliate, can I also promote products from other affiliate networks?
- 14 Can I join Amazon Affiliate program if I live outside the United States?
- 15 Do I have to disclose that I am an Amazon affiliate?
- 16 How do I compare two items on Amazon?
- 17 What is an Amazon comparison table?
- 18 What is an Amazon Call to Action button?
- 19 Do I need a website or blog to make money as an Amazon Affiliate?
- 20 What types of Amazon Affiliate link exist?
- 21 How do I create an associates product link?
- 22 What is Amazon SiteStripe?
- 23 How to get an amazon affiliate link with SiteStripe in five steps
- 24 What is an Amazon banner?
- 25 What sizes can Amazon banners be?
- 26 What are Amazon Native Shopping Ads?
- 27 What are the three types of Amazon Native Shopping Ads?
- 28 What are Amazon Mobile Popover?
- 29 What is Amazon Link To Any Page?
- 30 How to create a Link To Any Page Amazon Affiliate Link?
- 31 What is the Amazon Product Advertising API?
- 32 How do I get access to the Amazon Product Advertising API?
- 33 How can I use the Amazon Product Advertising API?
- 34 What does it mean that my Amazon Product Advertising API is throttled?
- 35 What is Amazon OneLink?
- 36 How do I setup Amazon OneLink?
- 37 Do Amazon Affiliate links expire?
What is the Amazon Associates Program?
The Amazon Associates is the affiliate program. Associates can monetize their traffic by referring products from Amazon.com to their audience. Participants earn a commission with every successful product referral. Given the large product selection, Amazon associates might be the largest affiliate network in the world.
How big is the Amazon Associates program?
Given the large product selection and easy sign up, Amazon Associate is one of the biggest affiliate networks in the world. Based on data from supermetrics, there are over 900,000 active affiliates
How much money can I make as Amazon Affiliate?
Your commission depends on how many views your affiliate links get, the number of clicks and what products your referral buys (if any). Based on Earnings Per Click & Click Through Rate benchmarks, a website with 10,000 views (not clicks) should make between $36 and $600.
How do I sign up for Amazon Associates?
- Go to the Amazon Associates website
- Click “Sign Up”
- Enter you account information such as name and address
- List your websites and mobile apps that you use to display affiliate links
- Complete your profile by entering you preferred ID and website description
- Enter how you drive traffic & monetization plan to let Amazon understand your business model
- Enter your payment & tax information, which is needed to receive commissions
- Start using Amazon Associates
Why should I sign up to be an Amazon Associate?
The sign up to be an Amazon associate is free and quick. Given that Amazon is the largest ecommerce stores with over 350 million products, customers have natural trust in to your product referrals.
For what referrals does Amazon Associates receive a commission?
- Fixed product dependent commission rate for qualifying purchases
- Fixed dollar amount for bounty events, which are sign up or subscription referrals, such as for Prime Video, Amazon Music and Audible trials or the first Amazon Fresh products purchase
- Prime video channel subscriptions and paid memberships, such as the NBA league pass
- Trade in programs for books and consumer electronics in the United States
How much commission do I earn as Amazon Associates for qualifying purchases?
|Fixed Standard Commission Income Rates for Specific Product Categories||Fixed Commission Income Rates|
|Luxury Beauty, Luxury Stores Beauty, Amazon Coins||10.00%|
|Digital Music, Physical Music, Handmade, Digital Videos||5.00%|
|Physical Books, Kitchen, Automotive||4.50%|
|Amazon Fire Tablet Devices, Amazon Kindle Devices, Amazon Fashion Women’s, Men’s & Kids Private Label, Luxury Stores Fashion, Apparel, Amazon Cloud Cam Devices, Fire TV Edition Smart TVs, Amazon Fire TV Devices, Amazon Echo Devices, Ring Devices, Watches, Jewelry, Luggage, Shoes, and Handbags & Accessories||4.00%|
|Toys, Furniture, Home, Home Improvement, Lawn & Garden, Pets Products, Headphones, Beauty, Musical Instruments, Business & Industrial Supplies, Outdoors, Tools, Sports, Baby Products||3.00%|
|PC, PC Components, DVD & Blu-Ray||2.50%|
|Televisions, Digital Video Games||2.00%|
|Amazon Fresh, Physical Video Games & Video Game Consoles, Grocery, Health & Personal Care||1.00%|
|Gift Cards; Wireless Service Plans; Alcoholic Beverages; Digital Kindle Products purchased as a subscription; Food prepared and delivered from a restaurant; Amazon Appstore, Prime Now, or Amazon Pay Places||0.00%|
|All Other Categories||4.00%|
What is an Amazon affiliate qualifying purchase or sale that is eligible for a commission?
A “Qualifying Purchase” is an affiliate sale, where the customer was referred by a special link and the purchase occurred within 24 hours. Also, the product was paid by and shipped to the customer. If products are added to the shopping card, a commission is e earned up to 89 days after referral.
What is the minimum payment I can receive?
In order for Amazon to pay out your earned commissions, you need valid payment & tax information. The minimum amount you can receive depends on your payment method. The minimum payout is $10 for Deposits and Gift Cards and $100 for checks. For checks, Amazon charges a $15 processing fee.
Can I use Amazon content for my website?
Yes, but only if it’s current. Amazon has a rigid content policy and only allows you to display the latest product descriptions, images and prices. To avoid having outdated information and staying Amazon compliant, associates should leverage non-Amazon content, paraphrase descriptions or use the Amazon Product Advertisement API.
Can Amazon Associates use the Amazon logo on my blog?
You are allowed to use the Amazon marks with a corresponding affiliate link. Only few Amazon logos are authorized, and it is not allowed to modify the logo in size, color, font or any other way. The Amazon prime logo is not authorized and therefore cannot be displayed.
What content is not allowed for Amazon Associates?
- Content that is considered harmful, such as sexually explicit, violent, illegal or hateful.
- False or deceptive product descriptions
- Content directed at children under 13 years of age
- Infringe the intellectual property rights or trademark of Amazon or any of it’s affiliates
If I am an Amazon affiliate, can I also promote products from other affiliate networks?
It is allowed to promote products from different vendors, including Amazon, on your website. Using more than one network is a chance to diversify your commission. Check with you other networks, if they allow multiple affiliate partners as well.
Can I join Amazon Affiliate program if I live outside the United States?
Everyone can become an Amazon affiliate, independent of your location. However, your affiliate links are bound by the affiliate country you signed up for. If you are not in the US, customers who click on your affiliate links, will still be send to Amazon.com, and not to your country specific page.
Do I have to disclose that I am an Amazon affiliate?
Yes, Amazon affiliate’s guidelines state that you have to disclose your affiliate status and that you earn a commission when users buy a product. Most affiliates also want to be transparent with their audience by clearly stating their relationship.
How do I compare two items on Amazon?
You can compare Amazon products by showing how each item is differentiated. Start by listing out key product features, and then contrast each of the products based on those criteria. Showing where features overlap or differ, is a great comparison method.
What is an Amazon comparison table?
An Amazon comparison table is a chart that differentiates two or more products. The table shows specifics for each product, such as an image, a title & description, the price or other highlights. It also has a call to action button.
The anchor text for Affiliate links is usually referred to as Call To Action button. The most common Amazon Call To Action buttons are “Buy now” or “Check Prices”. Affiliates usually tailor their buttons to their overall content strategy.
Do I need a website or blog to make money as an Amazon Affiliate?
No, you don’t need a website. Amazon affiliate generate commission through product referrals. These referrals can be via a website, but also via social media, email or other mediums. It is only important that your referred customer used your affiliate link.
- Product Links created from the Associates portal
- Amazon SiteStripe
- Native Shopping Ads
- Mobile Popover
- Link to Any Page
- Product Advertising API
- Amazon OneLink
- Log into the Amazon Associate Portal
- Click on “Product Links” under the “Product Linking” tab
- Search for your product, either by keyword or ASIN
- Click “Get Link” to select product
- Customize text and/or the image for the link
- Copy the highlighted HTML code
- Paste the HTML code to your website
What is Amazon SiteStripe?
SiteStripe is a banner appearing on the top of the Amazon.com website for Amazon associates. It allows associates to create affiliate links while browsing the regular website. With SiteStripe, associates don’t need to go through a separate portal to create an design their affiliate links.
- Create an Amazon Associate account.
- Click on the product you would like to recommend.
- The SiteStripe banner appears at the very top of the page
- Click “GetLink” for Text on the top left, generates your affiliate link
- Copy and integrate the link on your website
An Amazon banner is a rectangular advertisement graphic that can be displayed on any website. Amazon banners show products from a selected category, such as “Gourmet Food” or “Pets”. Product advertisements are chosen by Amazon rather than by the website owner.
- 234 x 60
- 88 x 31
- 120 x 60
- 120 x 90
- 125 x 125
- 468 x 60
- 728 x 90
What are Amazon Native Shopping Ads?
Native Shopping Ads are dynamic product recommendation that can be placed on an Amazon affiliate website. Products displayed are curated from Amazon and not from the website owner. Product recommendations are given based on the visiting user, websites content and affiliates selection.
What are the three types of Amazon Native Shopping Ads?
- Recommendation Ads are fully automated product displays in a grid, list or strip format.
- Search Ads display products from a certain category and allow the visitor to interact with the ad.
- Custom Ads are similar to recommendation ads, but the products shown are selected by the affiliate.
What are Amazon Mobile Popover?
Mobile Popover are Amazon advertisement for mobile display that appear as a banner at the bottom of the screen. Popovers display product linked in the website and stay on screen for 15 seconds or until the users dismisses the ad. Given the more prominent display, link engagement is up to 30% higher with regular text links.
What is Amazon Link To Any Page?
Associates can earn a commission for general referrals. Link To Any Page builds an affiliate link to a specific product line subcategory (such as Automotive interior accessories), search results for any keyword or any specific site. Associates receive a commission for visitor buying any product up to 24h after referral.
How to create a Link To Any Page Amazon Affiliate Link?
- Log into your Amazon Associates account.
- Click the “Link To Any Page” button under the “Product Linking” tab.
- Select one of the three link options, Favorite Destination, Search Results or Any Page.
- Based on your link option, modify either product line & subcategory, product line & keyword or enter a URL.
- Name your link.
- Copy the HTML code and paste it into your website.
What is the Amazon Product Advertising API?
The Amazon Product Advertising API gives you direct access to product data, such as title, description, price, promotions and reviews. Using the API, product information, such as product availability or price, stays current, ensuring that affiliates stay Amazon compliant.
How do I get access to the Amazon Product Advertising API?
- Sign up for an Amazon Associates account
- Complete at least three qualifying sales within the first 180 days
- Have an approved Amazon Affiliate Account
- Comply with the Amazon operating agreement
- Request access through the Amazon Associates portal
How can I use the Amazon Product Advertising API?
Website owners with knowledge of JSON and HTTP methods can build their use cases directly by reading through the API documentation. Most tools for Amazon Affiliates, such as the TableLabs comparison table software, allow you to leverage the API without any coding knowledge.
What does it mean that my Amazon Product Advertising API is throttled?
A throttled API means that you reached the maximum number of API requests you are allowed per day. Amazon limits how often affiliates can call the API. Limits start at one request per second and a daily maximum of 8640 requests. Limits increase with every affiliate sale and are adjusted every 30 days.
What is Amazon OneLink?
Amazon OneLink is a free service that bundles an associates’ accounts from different geographies. An affiliate link created with OneLink, redirects affiliate clicks to the appropriate country page of your visitor. The service is available for the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, Spain, France, Germany, Japan and Italy.
How do I setup Amazon OneLink?
- Log into your Amazon Associates account
- Click on “OneLink” under the “tools” tab
- Click on “Link your accounts”
- Select the tracking IDs that you want to bundle with OneLink
- Set default tracking ID for each country
Amazon affiliate links do not expire. They stay active as long a you have a valid tracking ID. If you change you tracking ID or your your affiliate account was suspended, your affiliate link will become inactive.